Postgraduate Studies Programme “Translation Science”
The Postgraduate Studies Programme “Translation Science” was founded in 1998 and has since been restructured (academic year 2010-2011) to fully conform to the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) and (academic year 2014-2015) to better meet the demands of today’s market.
The purpose of the newly restructured Postgraduate Studies Programme is to offer specialized knowledge in the field of Theory, Didactics and Practice of Translation, in new technologies in translation, in the scientific fields of Specialized Translation (Economic, Legal, Political and Medical) and in Literary Translation, so as to provide students with specialized knowledge in translation. The working languages are Greek and English mostly, with references being made to French and German.
Postgraduate Studies Programme “Translation Science” Handbook [bottom of page, in Greek]
Director: G. Kentrotis
Members: V. Sosoni, M. Tsigou
Address: Tsirigoti Sq. (Old Psychiatric Hospital), Hippocrates Building, 49100 Corfu
Head of Secretariat: E. Politi
Tel: 2661087904, 6946358982
e-mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Awarded postgraduate diplomas
The Postgraduate Programme “Translation Science” awards the following diplomas:
a) Master of Arts (MA) in the field of Translation Science.
b) PhD in the field of Translation Science with two possible streams:
. Theory, Practice and Didactics of Translation
. Theory, Practice and Didactics of Interpreting
Structure and Duration of Studies
The new programme covers three (3) semesters and comprises two (2) semesters of compulsory attendance of postgraduate modules and one semester for completing a postgraduate dissertation. In accordance with the the programme of studies, students are required to acquire ninety (90) ECTS in total (30 in the 1st semester, 30 in the 2nd semester and 30 awarded for completing a postgraduate dissertation).
The programme modules offered during the first two (2) consecutive semesters are divided into:
• Core modules (one (1) for each semester) which are compulsory for all students
• Elective modules from which students must choose at will two (2) for each semester
The duration of each semester is ten (10) weeks. Each lesson, regardless of level, is two hours per week. ECTS are awarded upon successful completion of each module (written exam or assignment or both).
The postgraduate dissertation is completed in the third semester.
Eligible candidates and admission criteria
University graduates and Technological Educational Institutions (TEI) graduates from any discipline and from any home or foreign institution are eligible to apply. Translators from international organizations or foreign government agencies are also eligible applicants subject to special agreements.
Each year up to thirty (30) places are offered to graduate students.
A call for applications to the admission tests for one or both Streams of the Postgraduate Translation Programme is published in the daily press. The call can also be found on the Department website, while it is also sent to the liaison offices or relevant departments of Greek Universities.
Call for the academic year 2016-2017 [bottom of page, in Greek]
Theory and Methodology of Translation (10 ECTS)
Elective Courses (2 out of 6):
1. Didactics of Translation (10 ECTS)
2. Audio-visual Translation (10 ECTS)
3. Medical Translation (10 ECTS)
4. Legal Translation (10 ECTS)
5. Philosophy and Methodology of Sciences
6. Literary Translation Criticism (10 ECTS)
Translation Tools (10 ECTS)
Elective Courses (2 out of 6):
1. Political translation and translation of EU texts (10 ECTS)
2. Translation of texts on international politics (10 ECTS)
3. Management of translation work (10 ECTS)
4. Translation of texts on art and culture (10 ECTS)
5. Intralingual translation (10 ECTS)
6. Linguistics and translation (10 ECTS)
George Kentrotis Professor, Professional Translator
Panayotis Kelandrias , Associate Professor, Professional Translator
Ioannis Lazaratos, Associate Professor, Professional Translator
Anastasia Parianou , Associate Professor, Professional Translator
Nikolaos Papadimitriou, Associate Professor
Maria Tsigou, Assistant Professor
Sotirios Livas, Assistant Professor
Katia Kermanidou , Lecturer , Department of Informatics, Ionian University
Vilelmini Sosoni, Lecturer, Professional Translator
Vasilis Letsios, Assistant Professor
Sotirios Keramidas, Assistant Professor, Professional Translator
Paschalis Nikolaou, Lecturer, Professional Translator
International dimension of the MA Programme
The Postgraduate Studies Programme “Translation Science”:
• Organizes international conferences (e.g. the 33th International Conference on Functional Linguistics co-organized with the International Society of Functional Linguistics (SILF) from 11 to 16 October 2010 in Corfu).
• Cooperates with foreign Universities and each year, depending on available financial resources, invites internationally renowned academics from Europe and beyond, who offer lectures and seminars and share their expertise with students and staff.
• Invites eminent Greek professionals to deliver seminars.
At the PhD level, there are four Special Cooperation Protocols for doctoral dissertations through co-supervision with the following universities: University of Sorbonne -Paris IV, University of Rennes, University of Montpellier, the University of Caen, the University of Nantes and the University of Seville.
. Postgraduate Studies Programme “Translation Science” Handbook [in Greek]
. Call for Postgraduate Studies Programme “Translation Science” 2016-2017 [in Greek]